Thursday, January 4, 2018

New Review! Clarity (Epsilon #1) by R. James Stevens 3 Cranky Stars

Clarity (Epsilon #1)Clarity by R. James Stevens
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3 Cranky Stars


Set in the near future, where the world has been stricken by a natural disaster that destroys modern technology, Clarity picks up seven years after the catastrophic event. The populace is scattered and left to fend for themselves against rogue organisations who seek to take advantage of the power vacuum created by the disaster.


Told from multiple points of view, three individuals attempt to put the pieces of not only their lives, but also the world, back together again.


This book has a lot of potential, but I have to admit - I struggled with the way it was executed. Personally, I felt the flashbacks bogged down the pacing and just when I was getting to grips with the story, the author would drag me backwards into a scene that I didn't think was necessary. I actually love flashbacks as a literary device - when they're done well - and this is one of the few times where I felt they didn't really add anything to the story. In fact, I think they harmed it.


Also, there is clunky dialogue and language that I wish was smoothed out.

In saying that, this book has a lot of potential. The premise is intriguing and the wider plot, subplots, and arcs of the characters kept me turning the pages.

View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home