Wednesday, April 26, 2017

New Review! The Sand Runner by Vera Brooks, 5 Cranky Stars


Sand Runner (Sand Runner, #1)Sand Runner by Vera Brook
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



***** 5 Cranky Stars *****

Once again, the gods of books blessed me with a gem just when I was thinking I was never going to give out those 5 sparkling stars!



This book reminded me of Hunger Games as well as LEGO Racers 4D (those in the know would understand!). Hunger Games because it’s about new world set in the future where live games of competitors trying to out-win one another no matter what is prime time viewing. LEGO racers because it is about a race and because of the terrain used in the book. Then that’s about the extent of the comparison because Sand Runner is a marvel in its own right.



The story is set in a dystopian world where everything can be made by 3D printers from food, clothing, furnishing - anything a designer imagines can be printed…as long as you have enough credits to pay for it. And that includes human parts.



We follow Kai, a vibrant young man who likes to run. In fact, he loves it so much that he runs in their local racing competition dreaming that one day he would win and get the girl of his dreams, Sara. Never in his wildest dreams had he imagined that he would be picked as a contender for the biggest racing competition, the No Limits Race.



Then one day, he got all three.



A mysterious agent named Emily recruited him using a rather unconventional approach. But Kai knew the stakes and accepted without batting an eyelid.



What followed next was like a whirlwind of activity it took my breath away! From Kai’s physical preparation for the Race, the rigorous training, the drama caused by the competition and even a budding romance for our unlikely hero.



I was so gripped by this story that I read it at every opportunity I could get. The excitement kept building and didn’t let up until the very end. The target readers are young adult. I’m young at heart and felt that did not matter at all. I was right there with Kai from the word go sharing his hardship, hunger, triumph and sorrow.



I loved Emily. She was the perfect agent. I would want somebody like her by my side had I been Kai. Andy and Neen were the best team mates and looked after Kai from the start.



Seriously, I can’t find any fault in this story. What’s more, it ended as a complete book without a cliff-hanger even though it said “Book 1”. I would definitely be looking forward to the next instalment in this series. Highly recommended.

View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home